Translate

Thursday 23 May 2013

All The Things I Love About Owing a Dog

It's awesome owning a dog. After 11 years without one, I'd forgotten all the amazing little things that make having a dog about the house so worthwhile.

The Lean

Number one on my list would be what we've come to know as the greyhound lean. Lottie (AKA the brindle rocket) has the really charming habit of wandering up to either of her favourite humans and leaning against them as she gets her ears or tummy rubbed.

Move away too fast and she'll topple, such is her trust in us humans.

Zooming

A close second would be when she runs towards me in the park. Being a greyhound, nothing makes her happier than having a good zoom (that's greyhound owner slang for a running greyhound) around the dog park, especially if the weather hasn't been great and she needs to work off some cabin fever.

Walking to the opposite side of the park and calling her to me sees her charging towards, instantly going from a complete standstill into  top gear at 45 mph. The really cool thing is the huge grin on her face as she runs towards me. She loves a good run.

Home-time

Another thing I'd forgotten how much I miss is coming home to a tail wagging, four legged brindle bundle of happiness who is clearly delighted that I'm home. Say what you will, but nothing will ever replace how I feel at seeing the sheer happiness of my dog when I walk through the door.

Company

Then there's the quiet companionship she provides. Sitting and studying often sees Lottie taking a sofa across from me and having a quiet snooze while keeping one eye open in case there's a hint of food anywhere. Her company is just awesome.

How about you? If you own a dog, what things do you like best? If you don't own a dog - what would you most like to experience if you did own one?

No comments:

Post a Comment